The first tour of our trip was the much anticipated Van Gogh
Museum. We went to the concierge to get
directions; he took one look at us and said we should take the number 7 tram.
He said it was 4 km to the museum and would be too far for us to walk. Too far
to walk! Didn’t he know who he was
talking to? There was no way we were getting on that tram.. Our only option was to walk. All we had to do was follow the track for the
number 7 tram. Seemed like a good plan. We
felt like we were following the yellow brick road, but instead of yellow the
bricks were red and instead of flying monkeys we had to dodge bicycles.
Along the way I'm quite convinced someone was trying to sell us
drugs and stolen bikes. The travel warnings said to beware of such people so I was constantly on the lookout.
When one particular woman approached us, I told
Katie to get moving and not say a word. She hesitated uncertainly because she wasn't convinced that the woman was
trying to sell us anything, but what does she know? She had been making fun of me for reading
all travel warnings. Well, who was laughing now?
She was very lucky I was there to keep her out of trouble. It is against
the law to buy anything from these people. She would have spent her vacation in
jail.
Now, back to dodging those bicycles. Everyone rides a bike in Amsterdam and, while
I applaud them, they could scare the pee right out of you. What am I talking about? They did scare the pee out of Katie (but only because she saw my life flash before her eyes at several different corners). The Dutch don't ride
leisurely like we Americans do. They ride with purpose, which makes Amsterdam a very
dangerous place to walk. Seriously, they all look like they are in training for the Tour de France, but in business suits and heels, never losing their sense of style. I bet they could lap Lance Armstrong and still pass a drug test. Well, I could be wrong about the drug test. This is Amsterdam where you pick up your
cannabis at the coffee shop and your magic mushrooms from the corner souvenir store. Travel warnings placed bike lanes on the list
of five things to avoid while in Amsterdam.
It was on the same list below the stolen bikes and drugs. Personally, I
think it should be number one.
In any case, we had to learn quickly how to safely cross the street. I likened it to a video game. Katie started calling me Super Mario. I would see the pedestrian light turn green and take my first step. Hold back, Mario, being hit by a bike loses a life. Successfully dodged! Next challenge is the cars, but from which direction? Look both ways. Double check. Advance. Tram barreling straight ahead! Sprint. More cars. Stop. Bikes. Stop. Go. Safety zone reached! Mario moves to the next round alive!
When we finally reached the Museumplein, we marveled at the feel of community in the area. Katie wanted me to frolic in the fountain, but I informed her that I only frolic in warm weather. That was the only cool day, but, luckily, Katie did not make me return. The Van Gogh Museum was very near the fountain and we entered with ease since we had reserved our tickets during our post-gym planning sessions at Starbucks before the trip. The museum was quite fabulous. Van Gogh obviously led a tortured life and the museum conveyed his mental and emotional struggles well. I found it so interesting that I listened to all of the numbers listed for the audio guide. It wasn't till the very end when I told Katie the words and the pictures didn't match up sometimes that Katie told me there were separate adult and children's versions.
After all you can eat ribs, our
second tour of the trip was the Red Light District. The guide was
great and and very frank about what goes on there. She told us all
about the history of prostitution and drugs in Holland and pointed out
"features" of the district. Apparently I was so
busy listening to the guide that I forgot to take pictures. I highly
recommend the tour simply for its historical value.
Day 2
When we finally reached the Museumplein, we marveled at the feel of community in the area. Katie wanted me to frolic in the fountain, but I informed her that I only frolic in warm weather. That was the only cool day, but, luckily, Katie did not make me return. The Van Gogh Museum was very near the fountain and we entered with ease since we had reserved our tickets during our post-gym planning sessions at Starbucks before the trip. The museum was quite fabulous. Van Gogh obviously led a tortured life and the museum conveyed his mental and emotional struggles well. I found it so interesting that I listened to all of the numbers listed for the audio guide. It wasn't till the very end when I told Katie the words and the pictures didn't match up sometimes that Katie told me there were separate adult and children's versions.
Day 2
The Anne Frank Huis was also worth the long trek. We had again wisely purchased our tickets online beforehand. Good thing. The museum opened at 9:00; our appointment was for 8:40. We arrived at 8:30 and were shocked to see a line that was already estimated to be a two hour wait. We simply rang the doorbell and were immediately escorted into the museum. The museum is sobering, but, as Otto Frank said, "to build a future, you have to know the past." In addition, the museum revealed Anne to be an amazingly articulate young girl who was forced to grow up too quickly. We completed the tour and had breakfast before half of the people already in line stepped foot into the museum.
After breakfast, we had the rest of the day free to explore Amsterdam. Yes, we explored via the canal buses (They were an interesting way to get around Amsterdam, but not a fast way. They fall under the glad we did it, don't need to do it again category.). By and large, though, once we figured out the whole crossing the street thing,we just walked and walked and walked some more.
I am glad to know you have the game of Super Mario down..we want you to come back in one piece!
ReplyDeleteEnjoying the blog. :)
You having a new blog is like Christmas! Makes me happy. So glad to have you back on the inter webs. And very jealous of your trip!!
ReplyDeleteI don't see my earlier comment. Now that I am home and have my computer I have been able to see the pictures. Looks like a good time is being had by all. And by your own rules. And you thought Andrea's rules were odd.
ReplyDelete