Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Goodbye Monterossa, Hello Venice



Today we are  leaving Andrea and Monterossa.  We will truly miss this part of Italy.  Who am I kidding? We will miss it all.  Cinque Terre was extra special, because Grandma Johnnie was all around us. Katie kept saying she could smell her everywhere.  We finally figured out that fig tress are abundant in the villages of Cinque Terre  and that was what reminded Katie of Grandma Johnnie. It was nice having her tag along.

Andrea was special too. He made sure we had all of t train information and gave us the names of three restaurants to eat at while we are in Venice.  Five hours away and he still had contacts for us.  He also gave us a bottle of his wine to take with us. 

We had a pleasant train ride until we got off at the wrong stop.  I was prepared to go purchase another ticket or throw myself on the ticket counter and beg for mercy. Not Katie. She has always been the biggest rule follower in the world.  I’m not quite sure what happened to her but she has turned into a “rules are just a suggestion club”.  I never thought I would live to see the day that happened.  She said we didn’t have time to go get another ticket and told me to just jump on the next train headed  in our general direction.  I was stunned.  You have to understand that when traveling by train in Italy, first , you buy a train ticket, then you make a reservation on that train at which time you are  assigned a seat.  Then the day you are traveling, before boarding the, train you must validate your ticket.  Failure to do so will result in a `100 Euro fine.  I know all of this because I read it in the travel warnings.  She told me to jump on the train without a ticket so i did.  Once again my life in a Italian prison flashed before my eyes. When the conductor came by, he just looked at our tickets, looked at us, handed back the tickets and walked away without saying a word. He may have been mumbling "stupid tourists" as he walked away.\ but I'm not sure.  Personally, I think he took one look at Katie and decided it was best not mess with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment