Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A run in with the law



Today, with Katie as our guide, we toured the streets of Florence.  She had a map. A book, and a list of sculptures she want to see. Before we got started, I wanted to find some postcards to show where we had been.  Katie left me at the souvenir kiosk while she wondered off to look at a church.  I had picked up a couple of postcards then decided to get them later so I put them back in their appropriate slots and stepped away from the kiosk.  As I stepped away, a loud whistle began blowing in my ear.  I thought for a moment that the policeman didn’t see me put the postcards back and thought I was stealing them.  For a brief moment, my life in an Italian prison flashed before my eyes.  As I turned around, the policeman, continuing to blow his whistle in my face motioned for me to step aside which, I promptly did, wandering if I should put my hands in the air. I was thinking to myself that they should be out chasing pickpockets instead harassing me for something I didn’t even do. Right about then, I then looked over my shoulder to see another police officer moving  a  large crowd of people out of the way so  an ambulance could go by. I guess they just felt I required special attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment